Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Moment in Time- NYTimes Lens Blog

It's up and it's incredible! I can't wait to view these global images!!!

Here it is, Earth, covered by stacks of thousands of virtual photographs, corresponding in location to where they were taken by Lens readers at one ‘Moment in Time.’”

When I heard that the NY Times Lens Blog was calling photographers of all levels to simultaneous record a moment of their lives, I couldn't wait to participate and encourage my students & photo enthusiasts to do the same. As a photographer and educator, this is what I am talking about, a moment to create art at the same time with lovers of photography all over the world, to click the shutter at the same time as my former students in San Diego, Nicaragua and the Bronx, at the same time as family and friends in Peru and California. To feel connected with not only those behind the camera but to the moments that they record.

What image(s) could I possibly take that could encapsulate this intimate feeling of a global photographic communion. Communion? Communion? Communion! Alright, I'll be literal! I received my First Holy Communion May 4th 1986 (I will always remember the date because it was Brian Finnegans 7th Birthday). There must be a First Holy Communion Mass the first Sunday of May around 15:00 hours (U.T.C.). And there was, just a few miles away. Alleluia!

While photographers all over the world were in communion with each other, Emma celebrates her First Holy Communion in Brooklyn, New York.






Click here to view the interactive gallery on the New York Times Lens Blog.

Click here to view my image.